June 4, 2011

La Fête du Fromage - Briquette de l'Angoumois

Briquette de l'Angoumois

Well, it's official.
After several years of tasting French cheese for la Fête du Fromage, it appears that I've exhausted almost every single cheese supply in a 60 mile radius. I've been to the village markets and to les Halles in Narbonne and Béziers, and I've done all the driving around the region to visit the small farms.

The obvious next step was to find a website or two that would deliver some French cheese right to my door. So that's exactly what I did.


Briquette de l'Angoumois

After searching though dozens of promising looking websites, (which turned out to be nul as they only offered big name cheeses that I've already tasted or were "out of stock" of virtually everything), I finally found la Chèvrerie Jousseaume. This farm in the Poitou-Charentes offers a range of intriguing looking fromages de chèvre, including la Taupinière, an unusual goat's cheese that I picked up in Paris a few years ago and absolutely loved.

The first one we tasted was Briquette de l'Angoumois. What a gem!
Its flavor is a full bodied mix of rich chalkiness, soft milk and a hint of spice.
It has a typical goat's cheese, barnyard aroma and its texture is dense, smooth and slightly dry in the center and soft and runny around the edges. Super bon!

It was perfect with a glass of cold rosé.


Pin It
Post a Comment