April 4, 2013

7 Reasons to Visit Normandy This Spring

Water Lilies at l'Orangerie

From the end of April until the end of September, the 2nd annual Normandy Impressionist Festival offers an extensive array of exhibitions and other events at numerous venues in both upper and lower Normandy.

The 32nd annual Jazz Sous les Pommiers takes place May 4-11 in Coutances. This event draws some big names and is a must for any jazz lover!

The city of Rouen will welcome the Armada Festival to its harbor in early June, with more than 50 tall ships expected to sail into town.

Bayeux

Le Musée d'Art et d'Histoire Baron Gérard recently opened in Bayeux. Admittedly, I am rather fond of this charming medieval town, and I think this new museum gives it just one more reason to visit.

Visit with local producers every Tuesday and Thursday at Cider and Calvados tastings throughout the month of April in the beautiful Normandy village of Beuvron-en-Auge.

Pommeau and Cider and Calvados, oh my!

For flower lovers, there's a Tulip Festival that runs until the end of April in the stunning gardens of the Château de Vendeuvre.

Late spring is the beginning of mussel season in Barfleur. I can't wait to head to our favorite place for moules frîtes!

Moules de Barfleur


Pin It

14 comments:

How to Live in France said...

I'll be going to Brittany in a few weeks and we might go spend a day in Normandy as well. I've been just once but before but I loved it.

Anonymous said...

I've never been clear on when mussel season is, but glad to know it's coming up!

Janine said...

I'm pretty confused about how to procure a litre of mussels, but it sounds good!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I would definitely go back to Rouen again, I loved it there, .. Moules .. I love them, :-)

Michel said...

You have listed some very good reasons to go visit Normandy. The moules and tastings would be at the top of my list. Have a great day.

La Torontoise said...

I'd love to go to Normandy in the summer. Yes, these are very good reasons to make the tour... J'adore des moules!

Carla Coulson said...

Busy time inNormandy sounds like you are spoiled for selection!
Thinking spring might be staying home this year!!
Carla x
have a lovely weekend

A Green and Rosie Life said...

This is a great post, especially as living in Normandy I am always on the look out for places to go and things to do. I really like the idea of cider tasting and Simon and the boys will no doubt now be nagging me to go to the Armada Festival.

Would it be too cheeky to mention that if anyone is looking for holiday accommodation in Normandy our gite has some availability up to early July and then from November onwards?! http://www.eco-gites.eu/index.html

Merci

Jennifer said...

HtLiF
You should! It is a wonderful region. Enjoy your time in Brittany!

Camille
I never knew that there was a season until last year. Most areas don't worry about it, so I'm wondering where those mussels are coming from?

Jennifer said...

Janine
They scoop them up in liter containers. :)

Anne
I must get to Rouen! It looks so beautiful.

Jennifer said...

Michel
I can never resist a good food related festival!

La Torontoise
It is simply stunning! And much less crowded than the south in the summertime. You'll have to come and see for yourself sometime.

Jennifer said...

Carla
Looks like spring has actually decided to grace us with her beautiful presence!

Eco Gîtes
I'm sure you're always looking for recommendations for your guests too.
(and that will be 100€ advertising fee, please) :)

Carina said...

I've been wanting to go to the Jazz festival for ages and drove by Coutances last year, not realising how spread out it was. The cathedral dominated the view - I can't wait to explore out there some more.

Jennifer said...

Carina
We still don't know Coutances that well, but I've heard from the locals that the Jazz Fest is fabulous!