December 7, 2012
What I Learned While Making Gumbo
1) A deep, rich roux waits for no man. Or woman. It refuses to be abandoned, even for a minute.
2) Leave the iPhone in the other room. Concentrate on the slow and steady stirring and quit trying to multitask all the time.
3) Between Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, the radio or TV constantly playing in the background and the neediness of our dogs, I get distracted often and easily. I need to work on this.
4) Use those 25-30 minutes of roux making to brainstorm, clear your head and/or just be.
5) Patience pays off. Especially when it comes to gumbo.
The recipe is Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo from Louisiana Real and Rustic by Emeril Lagasse.