October 10, 2011

La Fête du Fromage - La Chèvrine

Chevrine

This frumpy cheese may look a mess, but behind that rustic, naturally moldy exterior (the cracks in the rind are from poor handling on my part - it got jostled around in my market bag), lies an even textured, rich and refined fromage de chèvre.

La Chèvrine is no shrinking violet and it stole my heart from the first bite.




Chevrine
  
La Chèvrine has a concentrated flavor that is a perfect balance of saltiness, acidity, mushrooms and straw, and its texture is slightly chalky, dense and chewy. Its aroma is straight off the farm - penetrating, goaty and earthy.
It is produced in southern Burgundy from unpasteurized goat's milk.

If La Chèvrine sounds like it might be too strong for your taste, it has two milder Burgundian cousins you could try; AOC Charolais and Clacbitou.

Enjoy with a glass of white wine from Burgundy. Pin It

15 comments:

Lynn said...

Curious -- did/do you eat the rind on this type of cheese?

Jennifer said...

You could, if you wanted to. I tasted the rind but didn't love it it, so I cut it away.

French Girl in Seattle said...

Too strong for my taste? I would hope not! Now where do I find la Chevrine in Seattle-- and what percentage of my kid's college tuition am I going to spend to buy it? Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

Delana@dujour said...

I have yet to find a French cheese too strong for my taste! Tomorrow, the fromagerie...with your advice in hand. Thanks LouLou

The Sentimental Suitcase said...

YumYumYum! Normally I choose a rocamadour type but would love to try this too! If it's unpasteurized I will generally love it.
XO
Sam

Jennifer said...

Véronique
Not sure if it's exported, but please let us know if you find it.
Your kid needs a happy mom before college, so if you have to spend a bit of their tuition on delicious cheese to be happy, it will be worth it! :)

Delana
Hope you found it at the Fromagerie, or if not, something new and wonderful!

Sam
Unpasteurized and amazing! You must try.

Aidan said...

i have got to try this one. should it be easy to find?
aidan

Emm said...

Not a cheesy comment, but your new header picture is terrific. It really gathers in the feeling of the season.

Jennifer said...

Aidan
I found it at les Halles in Béziers, so you hope you can find it close to where you live.
Let me know what you think!

Emm
Thanks! I love that shot too. :)

Virginia said...

The cracks add "character" ! :) Lovely still life you created for us, and tasty as well!
V

Jennifer said...

Virginia
Thanks, I'm glad you like the photo!

Anonymous said...

There are very few cheeses that are too string for my taste. I bet I'd love this!

Jennifer said...

Camille
You would! We should go cheese shopping when I'm there in November - if you have a moment to spare - I know you're starting your new position! :)

Lynn said...

I have been looking at every cheese counter I come within 20 meters of in Paris, and haven't found this yet! But I will...

Jennifer said...

Lynn
I hope you do! (or did already) :)