Simplicity is the keyword of summer. Especially when it comes to dessert.
I have a hard time enjoying a rich chocolate mousse or any heavy, cream based desserts during the summertime. There are so many varieties of fruit available right now, so that's where I focus my attention.
And for the moment the super sweet, diaphanous green prune reine-claude is at the top of my list.
Reine-Claude Plum Crumble
- 2.2 pounds (1 kilo) reine-claude plums
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar (or vanilla sugar)
- 1 cup flour
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) butter, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 4 tablespoons ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse the plums, cut in half and remove the pits. Mix the fruit with the sugar and place in a deep baking dish.
- Process the flour and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then add the sugar and ground almonds.
- Sprinkle on top of the fruit and bake till the fruit is bubbling and the crumble topping is golden, about 40-45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold, however you like. Vanilla ice cream is optional, but recommended.
If you're not in the mood to turn on the oven and want something sweet and refreshing for dessert, then try this sorbet.
from Recettes de Cuisine and translated into English
- 2.2 pounds (1 kilo) ripe reine-claude plums
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon plum brandy (optional)
- Dissolve the sugar in the water in a pan over medium heat and cool.
- Wash and pit the plums and finely purée them in a food processor.
- Add the lemon juice and sugar syrup to the fruit purée, mix together and chill until cold.
- Mix in the optional plum brandy, transfer the purée to your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions.
- Scoop into a covered container, freeze until firm, about 2 hours. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep frozen).
You might also like these recipes:
Green Gage Summer - my famous 20 minute company tarte
Green Gage Plum and Pistachio Crumble
It's All About the Jam - Again! Pin It