March 17, 2009

La Fête du Fromage - Tomette de Vache


Until yesterday, I couldn't remember the name of this cheese.

While looking around my Flickr page during an early morning, jet-lag induced haze last week, I stumbled across a series of photos taken last summer of a cheese with no name. And to add to the mystery, I have somehow misplaced the little notebook where I keep a list of all the cheeses that I've tasted.

A couple of days of rummaging through drawers, looking under furniture (we have two cats, so nothing is safe in our house) and sorting through piles of paper yielded nothing. Though I did find my favorite fountain pen and an earring. But no sign of the cheese notebook.

Fortunately, I had a record of my tasting notes written down in another notebook. Have I ever mentioned that I have a weakness for blank books and stationery?
Anyway...
After some research and sifting through photo archives, I have deduced that this is a wedge of Tomette de Vache. It was confirmed this morning at the market where I recognized it at one of the cheesemonger's stalls.

Then, just before I sat down to write this post, I made one, final search through my blog archives and lo and behold, I have already tasted Tomette de Vache. I just hadn't noticed it before because I had spelled it Tommette de Vache.
Alors, it seems I'm repeating a cheese post.

But if you don't mind indulging me, I would like to offer you a second, succinct review of Tomette de Vache.


This is an honest and enjoyable fermier, unpasteurized cow's milk cheese. Not too strong and not too mild. It has a very pleasant, soft and chewy texture and the flavor is well rounded and somewhat salty, with delicious hints of earth and mushrooms.
In my opinion, Tomette de Vache is a really nice, satisfying cheese. There are others that I prefer, but I definitely wouldn't turn down a hunk of this cheese!

It paired well with a glass of local, Minervois red wine. Pin It

7 comments:

Chichiboulie said...

Delicieux! J'ai toujours du mal a choisir le fromage a acheter, tellement il y en a et surtout tellement ils ont l'air si bons!

Anonymous said...

Love the design on the rind!

Laura said...

That fig is absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

an incredible cheese! let me tell you again how jealous i am of all your tastings...

cheers,

*heather*

Jennifer said...

Chichiboulie
Choosing is difficult. Now when I'm putting together a cheese plate, I buy a couple of my favorites and a wedge of something that I've never tried before. I'm rarely disappointed!

croquecamille
Isn't it cool?

Laura
Figs grow like weeds here. When I walk the dogs during the summer and early autumn I can snack on figs along the way.

Heather
It was a good one. :)
You should start tasting too! There is a wealth of artisan cheese available in America.

Valerie, En Bonne Compagnie said...

I do love your writing - today's really brought a smile to my face regarding the lost notebook (ask Craig about when he lost his recipe book from when he was 16!!) and the papeterie/plumes fetish. My Mum was so bad with collecting pens that I used to find my favourites at her house 8-)

Jennifer said...

Valerie
Thanks!
You must photocopy or scan Craig's notebook before it gets lost or run through the dishwasher accidentally or something.