April 26, 2014

Linguine Con Le Vongole

Saturday market in Bayeux

Last weekend I learned that I don't actually hate clams. Which is kind of a big deal.

I really do wonder where my strong aversion to clams came from.
I love steamed mussels and enjoy raw oysters when I have my favorite accompaniments on hand - fresh lemon juice, Crystal hot sauce and a saltine cracker as a carrier.
And several years ago a friend in France rolled his eyes at my fiercely loyal Louisiana-style of eating oysters and made me try his homemade mignonette sauce with the Marennes-Oléron variety, opening my eyes to a new and incredible combination of flavors. (for which I am forever grateful!)

Linguini con Vongole

Clams, however...I've avoided them like the plague for as long as I can remember, despite my husband's repeated requests for me to make linguine con le vongole, a dish he remembers ordering and loving every time he ate out in Italian restaurants in NYC.

Last week, on the advice of a friend, I broke down and bought a half a kilo of tiny local clams, called coques, at the market in Courseulles-sur-Mer. At lunch that day my husband finally got his wish. We sat outside in the garden and enjoyed platefuls of pasta with a delicious, spicy, sweet, very garlicky clam sauce.

As for me...I have been converted. I am now a clam lover. They'll be in season all summer long here in Normandy, so I plan on making up for lost time. I've definitely been missing out!

Fettuccine con Vongole

Clam shells

This is the recipe I used.



Pin It
Post a Comment