September 12, 2013

A Word To Avoid?

Paris at Night

There's a little thing that's been grating on my nerves over the years.

Too many times I've heard a certain word thrown around by expats, and 9 times out of 10 it's used in a narrow minded, belittling way. I think it's mean. And childish.
I'm referring to the term "Frenchie."

As in, "These Frenchies (insert negative phrase here) ________________ ."

It drives me bonkers.

Yes, I know there's a restaurant in Paris called "Frenchie," but its owner is French, so that doesn't bother me. (even though said owner was given that nickname by an Englishman, so I guess it does kind of bug me)
And if you're living with a French person and the two of you use it as a term of endearment or something, that's fine too.
It's also ok if you're referring to these.

But if you're feeling frustrated or negative about the French? Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would ask you to avoid using it. Am I?



Pin It
Post a Comment