May 5, 2012

Saturday Morning at the Bayeux Market

Saint Maure de Touraine

My Saturday mornings go like this -  after a big café au lait and a tartine, I grab my market basket and drive to Bayeux to get some shopping done.

Bayeux Market



Fromage

melons

Arriving early to avoid long lines and find a place in the adjacent parking lot, which by 11am is impossible to park in, is a must.
Also, as I found out the hard way one weekend, my favorite teurgoule, crème fraîche and egg man always seems to run out of his incredible products quite early.
  
Before I start shopping, I do a complete tour of the market so I can see what fruit and vegetables have come into season and if there are any new vendors to check out.

I hate to have to rush, so that means picking up something for lunch. The ubiquitous poulet rôti is almost impossible to resist once I catch a whiff of the crispy chicken and slowly roasting potatoes, but lately we've been opting for something more exotic - spicy samosas and curries made by a woman from Réunion Island.
Paella is always available, as are crêpes, various cream based seafood dishes, Moroccan couscous and grilled sausage sandwiches served with frites. (It makes me wonder why people say that food trucks are a new thing in France?)

Simmering

Les Halles

Bayeux Market

les poules

Shopping for fromage is, of course, my favorite activity at the market. There are a handful of small, local chèvre producers, a couple of vendors with giant tommes and other huge wheels of mountain cheese and several fromagers offering cheese from all over France, as well as the all-important Normandy butter.

My basket weighs a ton by the time I head home.

Saint-Nectaire

The Sausage and Fries Guy

choux-fleur

Fromage de Chèvre

You might also like:

The Markets of France
Olonzac Market Day
Inspiration From a French Market
A Year in a French Market: What's in Season? (Ann Mah)
Bread, Cheese and all that Jazz (Tongue in Cheek)
Marché des Producteurs (David Lebovitz)


Pin It
Post a Comment