February 6, 2012

La Fête du Fromage - Le Deauville

Le Deauville

I'm not fussy when it comes to trying new cheese. As soon as I get it home, snap a few photos and make sure it is at room temperature (very important not to eat cheese too cold!), I cut myself a generous wedge and dive right in. Which is exactly what I did with le Deauville, a sumptuous cow's milk cheese that we picked up on a mini road trip last week to, you guessed it, Deauville.

Next time I might be a bit more careful, however. This one looks pretty harmless, but it is not for the faint of heart!

Le Deauville is heady stuff. It has the whole milk lushness of a Pont l'Evêque and the smelly richness of a Livarot. The rind is sticky with little crunchy salt crystals and the pâte is gooey, with savory caramelized milk and earthy mushroom flavors. It is incredibly delicious.

I recommend savoring le Deauville in petit portions. A little goes a long way.

Le Deauville

It is produced at la Fromagerie de la Houssay, a 200 year old farm in the Calvados region of Normandy. As with many cheeses from this region, le Deauville pairs well with hard apple cider, Champagne or a fruity white such as Gewurztraminer or Viognier.

Pin It
Post a Comment