August 31, 2010

Traffic in the Minervois

Vendange

I've never liked commuting.  In fact, I hated every minute of it.

My commute to work these days is a quick 12 minute drive on a narrow, serpentine road past acres and acres of vineyards, across a bridge and through a bustling village (with an excellent boulangerie), past a few olive groves and along the shores of a small lake.

If I don't run into traffic that is.

Traffic in the Minervois

In the spring the horses from a neighboring farm like to wander around, looking for spring delicacies sprouting in the fields to nibble on.

At the height of summer teams of cyclists appear.  I still don't understand why they choose to ride around in 38 degree C weather, but hey, to each his own.

Traffic

Now that summer is coming to an end and the vendange has begun, it's the tractors and harvesters.  From now until the end of September I won't be able to drive anywhere without getting stuck behind one of these lumbering vehicles, who's top speed is a whopping 25 kilometers an hour.

If anything, living in France has certainly taught me patience.  And to expect the unexpected when driving!

vendanges
Pin It
Post a Comment