June 17, 2009

La Fête du Fromage - Crémeux du Puy

Paris, in my humble opinion, is one of the most sublime cities in the world.
And the icing on the already delicious gâteau that is Paris is the sheer number of Fromageries that seem to appear around every corner.

My sister and I wandered into Fromagerie 31 after a delicious, al fresco lunch at da Rosa's and a cone of amazing Bacio gelato from Grom. Talk about the holy trinity of food shops! Living near these three would be very dangerous for my waistline.

The first cheese that caught my eye was a creamy, ash covered wedge of Crémeux du Puy.


We brought it back to our apartment that evening, created a tempting cheese plate with it and the three others we had chosen, opened up a bottle of white Burgundy and settled in for a grand tasting.

Sadly, this was our least favorite.
I think it was just too young. The flavor was sharp, and even though there were mild hints of soft, creamy butter, the astringent flavor overpowered them. Also, this cheese is dotted with blue veins that I had hoped would offer some nice, salty or mushroomy pockets of flavor. Nope. Nada.

Even though we found it very disappointing, I would try it again as I think it deserves a second chance. A more mature wedge would probably taste better.
Crémeux du Puy is an unpasteurized cow's milk cheese from Le Puy-en-Velay, in the Haute-Loire.

A light Beaujolais or Chardonnay would be my wine pairing recommendation.



La Fromagerie 31
64, rue de Seine
75006 PARIS Pin It

4 comments:

tut-tut said...

Lovely; I wish I were in France right this minute. We spent the month of June in 2004 in Veaux, nr. Vaison. Will I ever return!?

Jamie said...

I love when people give me new addresses! And I think I know this cheese and I understand that sometimes when it comes to cheese looks can be deceiving! And disappointing, sadly.

Hilda said...

HA! My parents lived about 100 yards away for 11 years, the Champion across the street was their supermarket. Love Da Rosa and Fromagerie 31. I hope you got some Beurre Bordier at Da Rosa (you can get it elsewhere too but since it's so close to you, why go farther right?) ;-) Have you been just across the Seine to the temples of culinary equipment and baking ingredients?

Jennifer said...

tut-tut
Hopefully France will see you again soon!

Jamie
If you ever try it and find that it is wonderful, please let me know. I think our piece was just under ripe.

Hilda
It is a great neighborhood and no, I didn't buy any of the Beurre! Next time I'm in Paris I must pick some up.
Meant to get to Mora and E Dehillerin, but sadly didn't get the chance this trip. I hope to go to Paris again in the autumn and will make it a priority!