November 4, 2008

La Fête du Fromage - Menez Hom

Our friends are leaving for their new home in Brittany in a couple of weeks.
I'm really sad to see them go...however, I think they'll be seeing me up there in the land of cider and crêpes before too long.
I would happily travel all the way to the ends of Brittany just to get my hands on some more of this little gem of a goat's cheese, Menez Hom.


The cheese is named for le Menez Hom, a "mountain" (330 meters) that is way out on the tip of the Crozon Peninsula in Finistère département in Brittany.

This is one of the most unusual unpasteurized chèvres I've ever tasted. Unusual because Menez Hom has no goaty flavor at all and only a very slight, fresh milk aroma. If you're not a fan of goat's cheese, this one might be safe for you to try.
It is delicate and sweet and even though it looks like it might be chalky, it isn't. The texture is super creamy and melts in your mouth. The ash covering is edible and doesn't seem to add any flavor. It has a slight hint of citrus, and some grass and straw flavors. Truly a divine cheese!

I would suggest some hard apple cider, from Brittany, of course, or white wine with this one.


Pin It

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to remember that on my next trip to France. I've never been able to eat goat cheese because I can taste the goats my father raised as I was growing up!


Mary

Jennifer said...

Mary
This cheese had none of that "goatiness" that people find unsavory.
I hope you try it and enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds intriguing! I wonder what steps in their handling of the milk and cheesemaking yield such a mild flavor. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jennifer said...

danielle
I wish I had an answer for you! The flavor was so nice.