August 29, 2008

Susan Herrmann Loomis' Pizza Tart

I've written about this Dijon mustard and garlic infused, tomato and cheese tart before. Since I finally got a photo of my most recent attempt, I thought I would remind you all of just how fantastic a tart this is!

It is adapted from a recipe in Susan Herrmann Loomis' French Farmhouse Cookbook, one of my most tired, wine splattered and battered cookbooks.
She makes her own tart shell, but I buy pre-made pâte brisée at the store. They pure butter version is so good and reasonably priced in France that I rarely make my own.




Pizza Tart

  • 1, 10½ inch tart shell, pre-baked
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, cut into thin slices or shredded
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 2 large, ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into thick slices
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
  2. Spread the mustard evenly over the bottom of the pre-baked tart shell
  3. Top with the cheese, then sprinkle with the garlic
  4. Arrange the tomato slices in a single layer evenly over the cheese
  5. Place in the middle of the oven and bake about 40 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and the tomatoes have cooked through and are nice and tender
  6. Remove from the oven and drizzle the olive oil over the top
  7. Serve immediately
Makes 4-6 main course servings or 6-8 appetizer servings

A couple notes: If using a metal tart pan, put it on a baking sheet before placing in the oven to keep the bottom from overcooking.
It can also be served at room temperature. We took this one on a picnic and it was just as delicious as when it is piping hot from the oven! Pin It

24 comments:

wcs said...

Oh, but nothing can beat a good home made crust... I do my own pâte brisée with nothing but good unsalted butter. It's easy and good, and it freezes!

You can do it, too! ;)

Jennifer said...

I know! I know. I should make my own, but it is just so much easier to buy that rolled out stuff. :)

Would you share the recipe you use? Maybe you'll convert me!

wcs said...

My recipe is here.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this looks so good. And agree with both of you. Nothing beats homemade crust, but in a pinch and when you have no time (or desire) that pre-made stuff works just fine ;)

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

A recipe to make for our wednesday night get togethers :-)

I might have to buy the case, not good at making pastry...in fact I would say pretty hopeless...I am going to have to come to France for some lessons from you all.

Betty Carlson said...

I just made a similar tart (and plan to blog about it, so I'll have to link to yours...) but simpler, without a recipe: no cheese, no garlic, but with basil. Also very yummy, I think the mustard really peps up the tomatoes.

Betty Carlson said...

PS: I like the fact that you don't hide your "papier cuisson" in your photos. Neither do I -- anymore!

Jennifer said...

wcs
thanks for the recipe link. I'll let you know when I try it.

my mélange
It is a great recipe!
If you can find a good quality tart shell, at a good price, then it is a wonderful time saver.

anne
Let me know when you make the tart and what you think of it. You should try to make pastry some time. You might surprise yourself! :)

betty
I love the mustard and tomato flavors when they meld together. I'll look forward to seeing your tart.
I don't worry about the papier cuisson anymore either. There is no shame in not making your own pastry. ::)

Betty Carlson said...

PPS: Actually I just downloaded my photos and I had used cheese, but feta and not gruyère...just for the record.

Jennifer said...

betty
Mmmm....feta and tomatoes is a delicious combo.
When are you posting your recipe?

Betty Carlson said...

It's coming, it's coming...

Jennifer said...

betty
Ok, I'll be patient...

Anonymous said...

yum! I love the mustard and tomato combo. I've made a very similar tart for decades, except that I pour over a classic egg/cream quiche filling after adding the tomatoes.

I also do one with a mixture of mascarpone and mustard, topped with halved tomatoes; very easy, and delicious!

Jennifer said...

Veronica
Love the look of the mascarpone, tomato and mustard tart. Thanks for the link!
The tangy flavor of the mustard is so perfect with the tomatoes, don't you think?

Vivienne said...

A variation of this tart is my midweek standby with a salad. One of our favourites is goat cheese with thinly sliced red onions, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and pignons. The great thing is, you can put on whatever you have in the fridge! I always have some ready-made pastry in the fridge for all kinds of things.
My daughters call this tart'pizza salope'!

Jennifer said...

Vivienne
I love the versatility of a tart like this too. Your onion, balsamic, cheese variation sounds fabulous!
And that name is hilarious. :)

spacedlaw said...

Simple enough but every rests on the quality of the tomatoes. I note you do not peel them. Any reason for this?

Jennifer said...

Nathalie
I've made this numerous times and And I've never even noticed the peel.
The Dijon mustard and garlic really infuse the flavor of this tart. It's delicious, truly!

Forest said...

yummy post! count me as another one who uses the store bought crust. I'm sure homemade is better - but maybe only if it were homemade by someone other than me! :)

Jennifer said...

Forest
I've become so lazy about making my own crust. This tart is delicious either way!

spacedlaw said...

Making that tonight with a pate brisée made partially with rye flour.

Jennifer said...

Nathalie
So glad you enjoyed the tart! I'm sure the addition of rye flour to the pastry was delicious.

spacedlaw said...

Making yet another version of this. No garlic but marjoram and chives plus sunflower seeds.

Jennifer said...

Nathalie
Yum! Sunflower seeds are something that I never would have thought of. Merci!