July 22, 2008

La Fête du Fromage - L'Écu

If you're considering a visit to the south of France, specifically to the Languedoc region, but just can't quite decide, well let me make the decision for you.

You must come visit, if only for the cheese. This region's offerings are that good.

(and the wine ain't bad, either)




My latest discovery is L'Écu, a little triangle of unpasteurized chèvre that I noticed for sale at a local shop about a year ago. I finally got around to buying a piece last week. Have I been missing out!

It is produced at the Domaine de Combebelle, located in the hills above Bize-Minervois. They have a goat farm - une chèvrerie - on the property where you can visit to feed the goats and buy cheese and fresh goat's milk.
This soft and dense little cheese surprisingly had no odor. The texture was both chalky and smooth and I thought it was perfect for spreading on bread and drizzling with honey. The flavor was light, sweet and mildly goaty. Very friendly and delicious!

A glass of our neighbor's Viognier was a perfect accompaniment.


the pattern on the rind reminds me of snake skin
Pin It

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful cheese! I wonder if the producer makes that mould themselves. I've never seen that shape before-- have you?

Betty Carlson said...

Oh, this looks delicious! And Viognier is my favorite grape variety -- yum.

Hope all is well,
Betty

Jennifer said...

danielle
No, I haven't. I've seen heart shaped moulds but never the triangle.
It was beautiful and delicious!

betty
You should be able to find it where you live. If not, I'll bring you some next time we get together.
All is well here, hope it is with you too!

Anonymous said...

Upon rereading, "Viognier" caught my eye and I sighed in jealousy. Have I mentioned that it's my favorite? IT IS. Especially French, as American producers tend to over-oak the wine like Chardonnay (though a John Alban makes an amazing Viognier).

Cheers!