September 8, 2011

La Fête du Fromage - Le Treillou

Le Treillou

There was a dearth of cheese chez nous this July and August.

Other than driving back and forth to work and making short trips to town to buy groceries, I didn't leave the village. Not even to go to the market!

Last week I was forced to leave my little Minevois bubble and head to Béziers (for reasons I'd rather not discuss for the time being), however, it did offer me the chance to stop by les Halles in the hopes that there would be something new at the Fromagerie. Success!
And on the way home I stopped at une épicerie fine that recently opened in the area to buy some olives and, lo and behold, I discovered that they also sell cheese!

So, not such a terrible day after all.



Le Treillou

Voilà, le Treillou, a rustic, delicious goat's cheese produced at la Ferme de la Treille, near St. Chinian.

And unbelievably, a fromage de chèvre from the Languedoc that I've never tasted. How is that possible? 

Le Treillou is a fairly typical chèvre, with flavors that range from tangy to slightly sour, with woody herbs, soft salt and earthy notes.
It is mildly goat-y and has a refreshing, milky aroma. The texture is soft, moist, slightly dense and chewy.
Another addition to the delicious range of cheeses produced in the Languedoc-Roussillon!

We tasted it with some red and rosé from the Minervois, both of which were a good wine match.


A few more French cheeses to try.

Pin It
Post a Comment