January 6, 2009

La Fête du Fromage - Kalidaan

Certain cheeses just belong on the breakfast table.

I don't mean cheese mixed in with eggs or made into quiche. Nor do I mean cheese melted over potatoes or baked into a breakfast strata.*

Just a wedge of fresh, tangy cheese.
Hopefully with a nice hunk of baguette and some fresh fruit or jam. Cheese like this one: Kalidaan.

Kalidaan is a soft, flavorful fromage de chèvre that is produced on a small farm (approximately 300 goats) in the Poitou-Charentes region.

There is no "goatiness" to this goat's cheese and the texture is wonderful and creamy with a mere hint of chalkiness. It has a well balanced, grassy, light flavor that was delicious with some cherry jam and bread for petit déjeuner.

As it was fairly early in the morning, I had a big café au lait with my wedge of Kalidaan.
A glass of crisp white wine from the Loire would also be good. A bit later in the day, of course.

*my mom used to make a mean strata for brunch on the weekends. Mentioning it brings back yummy childhood breakfast memories...

Pin It


spacedlaw said...

With honey. Yes. Yes PLEASE.

Vin de la Table said...

People just don't eat enough cheese with breakfast these days. With cherry jam, this sounds amazing for a early-morning pick me up.

Loulou said...

Yes, honey and goat's cheese! One of the most perfect food combinations!

vin de la table
I often eat plain yogurt and jam so why not cheese and jam? :)

Shayne said...

can you please, please, please send a chunk of that over my way? pleeassseee? btw: in Latin cultures, we commonly eat guava jam with queso blanco.

Loulou said...

I would have to drive back up to the Poitou-Charentes to get some more first. I can't find it down here in the south! :)
Guava jam and queso blanco sound wonderful.