December 16, 2008

Photo du Jour - Potimarrons

Le Potimarron - a succulent, dense, chestnut flavored squash that makes delicious soup.

Potimarron Soup
serves 4

2 pounds potimarron (a.k.a. Hokkaido squash), peeled and cut into one inch cubes
4 cups chicken stock
2-3 teaspoons sugar, depending on the sweetness of the potimarron
4 tablespoons crème fraîche or heavy cream
freshly ground white pepper
4 small slices Fourme d'Ambert cheese

In a large stockpot mix together the cubed potimarron, chicken stock and 2 teaspoons sugar.
Bring to a boil over high heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Taste and add more sugar if necessary.
Blend until completely smooth with a hand blender or in a food processor. Use caution with hot soup!
Just before serving, bring back to a boil and whisk in the crème fraîche or cream. Add salt and white pepper to taste.
Ladle into 4 bowls and lay a slice of Fourme d'Ambert on top of each serving.
Enjoy! Pin It


My Mélange said...

Never had one. They look like pumpkins, do they taste like pumpkin?

Our Juicy Life said...

loulou - we would love some information about your friends B&B, can you send me an email

Loulou said...

My Mélange
They are richer and nuttier than pumpkins. If you see one, you should try it. It also makes delicious risotto.

I sent you an email with some info. Maybe I'll see you soon!

croquecamille said...

I love potimarron! Risotto sounds like an excellent idea... maybe this weekend. :)

Loulou said...

You have a great looking potimarron gratin posted on your site, if memory serves?
Roasted cubes of potimarron are a delicious addition to risotto.

Betty C. said...

I am crazy about this vegetable. Do you know it doesn't have to be peeled, just washed well? The skin softens up just like zucchini. I learned that the first time I bought one, at an open market in the Indre et Loire, specifically in Veigné.

croquecamille said...

Yes, we had it for Thanksgiving. Who needs sweet potatoes? :)

Loulou said...

No, I didn't know that. Thank you for the great tip!

I do love my sweet potatoes, but potimarron is just as delicious!