November 13, 2008

Indian Spiced Potato Wedges

These are good. Really, really good. And easy.
Really, really easy.

I can't even look a jar of mango or peach chutney without a burning desire to roast up a big batch of these Indian Spiced Potatoes, which are basically big, oven roasted french fries that have been smothered in ghee and Indian spices.

Need I say more?

about to go in the oven

Indian Spiced Potatoes
serves 4
inspired by a recipe from The Australian Women's Weekly

2 pounds potatoes
2 ounces ghee
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
2 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Peel and halve each potato lengthwise, then cut each half into two or three wedges.
Combine potatoes with remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
Place potatoes mixture on a large, non-stick baking dish and bake, turning occasionally, about 15-20 minutes, until browned and tender.

Pin It


croquecamille said...

You had me at ghee.

Veronica said...

ooh, yummy! So where on earth do you find ghee around here?? Or do you make your own?

Who Has Time To Cook? said...

I just wanted to stop by again and say thanks for checking in on my site. Even though I haven't posted anything real in a few months (before today), you still come back. Thanks so much for spending a few moments. It means a lot. -- Jean

Allie said...

Those are exquisite. Hungry now.

Loulou said...

These are totally addictive!

No ghee around here! I made my own.

Looks like you're back to writing now. Hope you continue. :)

Glad you like the look of them!

Non, Je ne regrette rien said...

ok, i have to try these and soon. slurp.

Nicole said...

These sound so delicious! I'm about to write a post about making ghee at home and this is a perfect recipe for me to link to! I wish I had some right now!!

wcs said...

Oh, yes. These are now on my list. What variety of potatoes do you use? I assume whatever variety works for frites would work for this?

Loulou said...

You won't be sorry!

I look forward to reading your ghee post. You'll have to make some soon. Make sure you have good chutney to dip them in.

I used the agathe variety, but yes, any frites variety would work. Enjoy!