October 19, 2008

Photo du Jour - Comfort

Comfort Food. Sometimes you just crave it.

Macaroni & Cheese is way up there on my Favorite Comfort Food of All Time list.
I use the recipe from Horn & Hardart's, with a few revisions; no cheddar cheese around here so I use Gruyère or another good melting cheese, I add a couple of dashes of Crystal Hot Sauce to the mix and put fine breadcrumbs on the top before it goes in the oven. Pin It


Vivi said...

Oh yum!!! I've never made my own (for shame, I know!) but I've found that boxed mac & cheese, that staple of my college years, just doesn't do it for me anymore. Now I know what I'm going to try this week, thanks! :)

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

True autumn comfort food! Another one is Cauliflower cheese..my family love it! :-)

Bron said...

Macaroni cheese is definitely "way up there" like chocolate and sex, it's a long long winter without it! ;-)
Love it!!

Loulou said...

You'll never go back to the boxed stuff! (although I think they put addictive drugs in Kraft Mac & Cheese...every time I get the chance to eat it I can't stop)
French Fry will be born loving your homemade mac and cheese. :)

Cauliflower cheese is wonderful! My grandmother used to make an Italian version.


Wives with Knives said...

Mac and cheese is one of my favorites. I use whatever cheese I have on hand, sometimes a combination of several and its always good. I like the bread crumbs on top. Looks yummy.

Karina Allrich said...

Yes, please! It is my favorite comfort food. An aside- my husband picked grapes in Maury years ago, and has painted in your (beautiful) neck of the woods-er, vineyards. :)

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I just have to ask: What is cauliflower cheese?

Anonymous said...

Cheddar cheese(coloured but good for cooking) is available from G2supermarket in Olonzac. Strong Scottish Cheddar in Leclerc,Carcassonne also 2 varieties in English shop,Carcassonne + stilton+ red leicester + wensleydale.
Kind regards
Malcolm & Penny

Loulou said...

wives with knives
I think it is always better with the breadcrumbs! I often use a mix of cheese too.

This is a beautiful part of the world. You should visit some time!
Thanks for commenting. :)

it is a popular British dish that uses cauliflower in place of noodles. I found this online:

1 large Cauliflower
300ml (½ pint) Milk
110g (4oz) Cheddar Cheese
3 tbsp Plain Flour
50g (2oz) Butter
25g (1oz) Fresh Breadcrumbs
½ tsp Mustard
Salt & Black Pepper

Trim the cauliflower boil in salted water for 10-15 minutes or until just tender.
Drain and place in a flameproof dish.
Add the milk, flour and butter to a saucepan.
Heat, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens, boils and is smooth.
Allow to simmer for a further 2 minutes.
Add three-quarters of the grated cheese, mustard, a pinch of nutmeg and seasoning.
Cook for further minute stirring well.
Pour the sauce over the cauliflower.
Mix the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs together, sprinkle over the top.
Place under a hot grill until golden brown.
Serve immediately.

Malcolm and Penny
Thanks for the info!
I stopped looking for cheddar a couple of years ago because we could never find it. How things have changed!

Ken Broadhurst said...

Loulou, try Cantal cheese. It's a lot like white cheddar and melts very nicely.

Loulou said...

Wonderful idea! I adore white cheddar and Cantal.

Cathy said...

loulou -
Thanks ever so much for the recipe. This sounds wonderful. Cauliflower is one of my favorite veggies and is in season now so I'll give it a try. Wish I had some right this minute.

Loulou said...

I hope you enjoy it! :)