April 9, 2012

Rose-Colored Glasses

Our garden in early April

I started thinking about the expression, "looking at life through rose-colored glasses" while searching for pink colored shots in my Flickr photo pool for last week's Tickled Pink post.

Defined by the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, the expression rose-colored glasses means favorably disposed opinions : optimistic eyes. According to the Cambridge online dictionary, the expression means a happy or positive attitude that fails to notice negative things, leading to a view of life that is not realistic.

Well, I definitely think I am realistic.
And I do focus, or try to anyway, on the positive and not the negative. Also, I do my best to remain optimistic, which isn't always easy when you consider that I live in a country where pessimism could be considered a national sport.




Moo

yellow

The reason I remain optimistic is because France still captivates me.

I continue to be charmed by little stone houses with faded shutters and walking into the boulangerie with its sweet, yeasty aromas hovering in the air. I love shopping at the markets and don't mind waiting in line to buy vegetables, cheese and crème fraîche from a local farm. 
I love the attention to detail, whether it be a chocolatier's beautifully designed window display, stacks of perfectly arranged asparagus, carrots or peonies at the market, or by the hand-shaped door knockers that wear delicate lace sleeves and gemstone rings. 
An hour sitting at a café, people watching, is one of my favorite pastimes, and don't even get me started on the scarves!

Peonies

Door Knocker

So, am I looking at life through rose-colored glasses?  

Well, I do have "optimistic eyes," though I am not someone "...that fails to notice negative things, leading to a view of life that is not realistic."  Believe me, sitting in the waiting room at the sous-préfecture with your dossier, hoping that the fonctionnaire du jour will be kind enough to process your papers that day will most definitely keep you grounded in reality.

Fromagerie Laurent Dubois

I think I am simply trying to live in the moment, keep my sense of humor and appreciate the beauty that is around me. 
I think it is about the little things in life and I try to remember that. 
Every. Single. Day.


Pin It

13 comments:

Forest said...

you know, I think when people say someone looks at life "through rose colored glasses" it's not always a compliment. And, granted it's not something I've given a lot of thought to...but can we really knock anyone who looks at life with an optimistic outlook? As someone who considers themselves a realist (and sometimes a bit pessimistic), i have to wonder, what's wrong with looking at things with a cheery perspective? :) I like to say I'm a pessimistic optimist - i think plenty of things suck, but continually believe they will get better. I could use some rose glasses from time to time.

Sharon T said...

Thank you for this post! It is a good reminder :)

Diane said...

This is a great post, I have to admit I appreciate each day I am in France, including all there is around me, my French friends and neighbours. I am very optimistic about life here and yes I am also charmed about all the same things that you are.

I live each day as it comes, but while I am enjoying it so much long may I live. Diane

Michel said...

There are those who say I look at the world through rose colored glasses because I look at things always as a glass half full rather than half empty. I prefer to go through life that way.

ardiola said...

hello,
we have the same expression in Polish, but as Forest said it was not always a compliment but rather naive and irresponsible attitude to life, as it is understood in my language. But there is nothing wrong about being an optimist of course.Iam a realist.My husband is a dreamer and we always argue about things.
Anyway I also like your blog a lot, so does my husband, you were the first "French" blogger I read. You inspire me a lot, I admit honestly I "steal" some of your licentia poetica sometimes. But my stories are different, long, narrative and tell about my Eastern-European attitude to things,which is like a unnecessary heritage in my mind. I hate it sometimes. We have different readers for sure. Regards from Pepieux.

puppyfur said...

I once read an article about the secret to a happy marriage, and one of the suggestions was to look at your spouse through rose-colored glasses. I thought that was a lovely suggestion, and I think it works!

Delana@dujour said...

I've been told several times by my French friends that I'm an "optimiste aveugle". And yes, in the derogatory sense. But I'd rather err in that direction than the other. It's a choice, don't you think? I'm still charmed by my surroundings here as well and hope that never changes. Lovely, lovely photos.

Jennifer said...

Forest
I think it is often said with disdain by those who have never donned a pair themselves. Some people wouldn't know optimism if it walked up and slapped them in the face.
Believe me, I have moments where it's hard to see the bright side of life and I don't spend every minute of every day being happy-go-lucky. I do my best to remain positive though.
And I'll lend you my pair anytime you need them.
In exchange for a cocktail, of course. :)

Sharon
You're welcome!

Jennifer said...

Diane
Thank you for your comment! I'm happy to hear that you are content with your life in France and continue to enjoy its charms. It is a wonderful place to live.

chcmichel
Exactly! It's a much better way to live.

Jennifer said...

ardiola
Thank you for writing to tell me that I've been inspiring to you. That is nice to hear. :)
Sounds like the combination you and your husband have of dreamer & realist works well. I hope you're loving Pépieux and will have to translate your blog so I can read your stories.

puppyfur
That is very sound advice!

Jennifer said...

Delana
I do think it is a choice and I think you've made the right one. :)

Katie said...

Your story reminded me of going into a scarf shop in Paris on my first trip to France - floor to ceiling, flat drawers filled with perfectly folded scarves, all arranged by shades of color. I was totally awed - and far too intimidated to do anything but stare and leave LOL.

Jennifer said...

Katie
I can totally relate to your experience! :)