June 24, 2009

La Fête du Fromage - Brugère

The most delicious cheese that my sister and I tasted during our visit to Paris was Brugère, a wonderful, delicate, unpasteurized chèvre from the mountainous Cantal region of south central France.


Coincidentally, our apartment in Montmartre was located just around the corner from not just one, but two Fromageries.
One of them was a disappointment. La petite vendeuse was totally clueless about cheese! When I posed some questions about a couple that I was interested in, she didn't know where they were produced or if they were lait cru, lait thermisé or lait pasteurisé, nor did she care to.
I didn't linger around to waste her precious time.

Luckily la Fromagerie Lepic was only a few doors away and they were very knowledgeable. And happy that I was interested in their cheese. Had I been on my own, I could have spent many happy hours in this little place.
My sister does love cheese, but would much rather be noshing on some Spanish or French dry-cured ham or eating gelato, so I tried not to bore her by dragging her into too many Fromageries.


We both swooned over this one!
Brugère has a fine, silky texture and is matured to the point of being chewy and chalky, qualities that I love in goat cheese. It has strong milk and fresh grass flavors and a sweet aroma of green pastures. My sister and I both agree that this is one to remember.

Its soft flavor would pair well with either a Pinot Gris or a Pinot Noir.


Fromagerie Lepic
20, rue Lepic
75018 PARIS Pin It

9 comments:

Ann said...

Oh, my... I just have to tell you how much I love your "Fete du Fromage" feature. I love French cheeses! I live in the States and am about to move to the UK, so I'm hoping there may be a Fromage Journey or two in my future :) Incidentally, I don't know if you've ever read "On Food And Cooking" by Harold McGee (I think?) but it discusses (among other things) the processes and chemistry involved in making cheese, quite interesting. Looking forward to more fromage!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

i love that funny little mouse (rat?) on the wrapping!

spacedlaw said...

It looks wonderful. Groan...

Anonymous said...

That is my local favourite also. The only place I buy cheese, creme fraiche, yogurt and butter.

They are also one of the few places in Paris that will offer you a taste of a cheese before you decide which one to buy.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. Thank you!

Aeneas said...

Yes, you are definitely into chevre these days. :)

BTW, I did find a 'fromagerie' on the Internet that has a lot of cheeses you speak of. The only thing is that you have to order four cheeses; which is okay, except I can't eat (or rather should not) all that cheese. They don't keep that long or that well. Or, is there a secret for keeping cheese for a while?

Jennifer said...

Ann
There is some fantastic cheese (so I've heard) produced in the UK.
And you'll be able to find many more French cheeses there. Good luck with your move! You must be excited!
I've never read it, but it sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation.

denise
I do too. Had to include it in the photo.

spacedlaw
It was!
Wish I lived near this little fromagerie. Or any fromagerie, for that matter!

Anonymous
You are lucky! If you try something really exceptional one day, please let me know and I'll try to find it down here. Or get a hold of some the next time I'm in Paris.

Anonymous
Same anon as above?
Thank you!

Aeneas
Yes, spring and summer is the chèvre season. :)
I love it, so I'm happy!

Some cheeses keep very well, others, such as the fragile, fresh chèvres and brebis, do not.

Here's a good article to help you.
http://www.culinate.com/articles/features/cheese_shopping

Aeneas said...

Thank you!

The cheese shop in Northern California you recommended has a 'cheese club'--three cheeses each month are sent out with description and how to eat, etc. I'm tempted to do that. Probably the only way to try new cheeses. I'm sooooooooooo bored of the ones I find around here. Gah!

Jennifer said...

Aeneas
That sounds like a great solution! Think of all the new cheeses you'll get to try.
:)