April 1, 2009

La Fête du Fromage - La Tomme Céronnée

France's Savoie region is famous for its rugged snow-capped mountains, clear lakes and gorgeous green valleys. It is a mecca for skiers, campers and hikers.

Tomme Céronnée is also a mecca. For cheese mites.
If you look very closely you could see the little creatures frolicking amongst the hills and valleys that they have created while munching away on its rind.


Tomme Céronnée is produced in the mountains of the Savoie from unpasteurized cow's milk, then aged for 3 months. The cheese is supple, ivory colored and dotted with small holes, and the mites create a powdery, holey rind like Mimolette's.
The slightly salty, milky and hazelnut flavors combined beautifully with the meaty, chewy texture. It was a very enjoyable tasting!

So if the thought of tiny insects crawling around on your food doesn't bother you, and it shouldn't because you cut the hard rind off anyway, this cheese will definitely win you over.


Enjoy with a glass of red Côtes du Rhône or white from the Savoie region.


Since it is obvious that I can't get my you-know-what together and get any writing done on Tuesdays, la Fête du Fromage is officially moving to Wednesdays.

Tuesday is market day in Olonzac, it's the day that I get most of my errands run and we often have friends around Tuesday evening for dinner. Basically, I run out of time for cheese. Of course, one could argue that I could be more organized and have the post written before Tuesday, but I just don't see that happening.

So, Wednesdays it is! Pin It

7 comments:

spacedlaw said...

It looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

love Mimolette - couldnt find Epoisses yet - all out for a couple of weeks

Loulou - we had a great week in the Languedoc 2 yrs ago at a nice gite E a bit of Montpeyroux - didnt spend anytime near you I dont think - love the looks of the La Livineire village - love the wines of this region as much if not more than any region of France so we should look at it for another week someday -

enough to do to keep busy for a week in this area? sure there is! thanks Dale

Brunofrance said...

Now that I think about it, the rind resembles the surface of the Moon.
If you took your camera and shot a tight closeup, you'd see all the craters. Interesting. They always said the Moon was made of green cheese.

Cynthia in France said...

I'm an American living in Savoie (French Alps) and I love Tommes! I also fell in love with Beaufort on a weekend trip to the Beaufortain region. Expensive but worth it. In fact, I put a Beaufort cheese recipe and video on my blog because it's one of my favorites of all time. It's all comfort food to me - French comfort food. Cynthia in France

Jennifer said...

spacedlaw
It was really delicious!

Dale
Hope you get to try some Époisses soon!
There is plenty to keep you busy for a week in this area. There are several tourism links on this site to give you some ideas.

Bruno
Craters of the moon, complete with little alien beings.

Cynthia
The cheeses from the Alps are all so amazing, as are many of the recipes from that region.

Anonymous said...

A cheese celebration - I wish I could have attended. La Tomme is wonderful and someone mention epoisses - that's got to be at the top of my list. I see I need to make a run to my local cheese shop.

Jennifer said...

oysterculture
I hope you made it to your local cheese shop...
If you did, what did you buy?
:)