October 20, 2006

Autumn Lamb Stew

This recipe came about last week when I was trying to find a use for lamb shoulder and turnips that I had bought at the market. I love turnips but I rarely buy them because I have so few recipes that call for them.
The result was a rustic stew with a rich broth that pairs perfectly with crusty, French bread.
A delicious starter would be a salad of sliced Belgian endive, lamb's lettuce and Granny Smith apples drizzled with lemony dressing and sprinkled with toasted walnuts.

  • 1 ½ pounds boneless lamb stew meat, I used shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes and trimmed of fat
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon herbes de Provence
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup diced carrot
  • 2 cups diced turnip
  • 1 branch fresh thyme
  • 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
  1. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat.
  2. Mix flour with herbes de Provence, salt and pepper. Coat the lamb pieces with the flour mixture and add them, a few pieces at a time, in the hot oil. When browned, remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
  3. About halfway through browning the meat, add the garlic cloves and brown them alongside some lamb, being careful not to burn them.
  4. When the pieces are all done, reduce heat to medium and add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned.
  5. Stir in the water, scraping up the browned bits clinging to the bottom of the pot.
  6. Put the lamb, garlic, carrots, turnips and thyme branch into the pot, give it a good stir and bring to a boil.
  7. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 1 and 1/2 hours or until the lamb is meltingly tender.
  8. Stir the thawed baby peas in at the end and make sure they're warmed through.
  9. Before serving remove the thyme branches and smash the garlic cloves against the side of the pan and mix them into the broth.
  10. Taste and correct for salt and pepper.
Serves 4 Pin It

4 comments:

christine said...

I came to see your gray kitty and found this nice little blog you have. I'll add you to my blog roll :)

Unknown said...

Your lamb stew sounds so comforting.

BTW, thank you for adding a link to my site.

Mimi

Jennifer said...

chris
I'll add a picture of my cat so you can see the resemblance

socks
???

mimi
merci!

Katie said...

The stew sounds lovely - like, you I am always looking for something with turnips, and I don't often make stew with lamb....next time....