August 10, 2007


Haven't written much about what's going on around here in our day to day lives, so here's an update...

My husband had laser surgery to fix a small hole in his retina. It was most impressive...he saw the Ophthalmologist Thursday evening and we received a call from her secretary the next morning at 9 AM telling us that he had an appointment for the surgery that day at noon in Narbonne. Obviously lunch plans were cancelled. And we couldn't believe that the surgeon would work at lunchtime. This is France after all, where the stomach rules.
Thirty minutes of waiting for his eye to dilate, then some anesthesia drops followed by 10 minutes of a laser zapping and we were sent home so he could recover. Which he did. His follow up appointment was last week and the eye has healed perfectly.
By the way, it didn't cost a thing.

I'm glad he's healthy because the chihuahuas are falling apart. The older one, Speck, started showing signs of arthritis last summer. He had a few X-Rays and was put on Rimadyl and was fine. Until 10 days ago. He woke up from an afternoon nap screaming in pain. Not whimpering, not whining, not crying. Screaming. It is the most horrific, nails on a chalkboard, distressing sound that tears my heart out because there's nothing I can do other than pet him until he calms down. Since then he wakes up an average of once a day and once in the middle of the night, around 4 AM, screaming. He's been put on new medication which we hope will start kicking in soon. The night before last was a particularly bad night but last night seemed better. We'll see how tonight goes. If these new pills don't work the next step will be injections of Cortisone.

A few months ago we noticed swelling on one side of the younger one, Tico's, neck. A couple of weeks ago the vet diagnosed it as a possible backed up salivary gland but needed us to go to the big clinic in Carcassonne where they would anesthetize him and draw out the fluid to make sure that that was exactly what we were dealing with. We went Monday morning and I held the poor little guy while they inserted the IV and drew out the fluid. I'm such a wimp around needles and hospital-like situations in general that I felt like I was going to faint at one point and had to sit down and put my head between my knees. I'm hopeless.
It is his salivary gland and he needs surgery in the near future. It isn't urgent but if we don't treat it, eventually he'll have a big bubble on his neck. I've looked at pictures of dogs with this condition on the Internet. It ain't pretty.

On a good note, our street is having it's annual apéro evening tomorrow night. We always look forward to this evening with our neighbors. Everyone brings something to eat and drink to share with the others. There are always some very interesting homemade alcohol concoctions to try (and burn taste buds off).

We finally cancelled our Canal Satellite contract after many letters back and forth and they even reimbursed us for one month. Now that is amazing!

The weather continues to be bizarre. We had rain for several days and it currently feels like autumn with warm sun but cool wind. So far this summer it hasn't even gotten hot enough to take the duvet off the bed. Bizarre, very bizarre.

That's all the news for now. Pin It


Farfallina - Roam 2 Rome said...

Goodness! Hang in there! Sounds like you had 3 patients at home lately

Hmmm, when it rains, it pours, doesn't it?

I'm glad your husband is doing well now, but poor chihuahua! Hope the meds work soon, poor thing...

Enjoy tomorrow's annual apéro evening :)

mpabner said...

I hear the yelp when Kylie, the Bearded Collie, steps on Pablo, the Chihuahua. That is a heart rending sound. I can only imagine that helplessness that you feel with that sound goes on and on.

Our corgi, Windsor, has arthritis. He seems to get a lot of relief from Glucosamine and Chondroitan. I am not sure if the spelling on that is correct. However, this may help you. Both help the "lubricant" in the joints, which may help with the pain. We see a result within a day of taking the pill.

Loulou said...

thank you! he only had one "episode" yesterday and slept all night, thank heavens.

yes, it's a horrible sound! he's been taking Glucosamine since last February and it was really helping until recently
now it seems like nothing is helping

Farfallina - Roam 2 Rome said...

He slept all night? yey!...
I've had pets get hurt and scream like that, and it's a very helpless feeling :(

Good to hear the meds worked :)

Loulou said...

isn't it awful? I feel so helpless when he's in pain. Another good night last night. Yahoo!

Sister said...

Sis -- I am so sorry to hear about all the medical issues. POOR Speck -- oh how I know about dogs in pain. When that was happening with Astor it was awful. Hang tight. Good job on being brave with Tico. Your boys (all three) are so lucky to have you. I love the new blog. I am so proud of you sister.

Loulou said...

thank you! Speck seems to be doing a bit better.
I'm calling the vet today to give him an update. Luckily we have a fabulous vet!
Glad you like the new blog.

The Late Bloomer said...

So good to read some news about how things have been for you recently! I've been a bit out of the Internet loop for a while as I was away for a few weeks, but now I'm trying to catch up on my blog-reading! And posting, too, of course...

I saw that you tagged me for a meme a bit further on, so I need to get around to that soon!

I hope your little pups are doing better now and that all is going well for you. What wonderful plans you have with Riana in September! Enjoy all that cheese.