May 31, 2007

Bittersweet Bakery and Bistro

The following is a review of one of my best friend's restaurants. Obviously I'm a bit biased!

Our amazing and talented friend, Gina, visited us in France three years ago and while she was here she had a crêpe making lesson from another friend, Jean-Pierre, the owner of La Table Bretonne in Béziers. When she returned to Spokane she expanded her little bakery into a crêperie and bakery called Bittersweet Bakery and Bistro.

The crêpe named after crêpe Loulou.

Gina in the kitchen.

I finally had the chance to eat here when I was in Spokane in March. If you live in or around Spokane, you must go! If you appreciate great coffee, sublime pastries and desserts, yummy crêpes and salads, a gorgeous and welcoming dining space and friendly staff members, you'll be happy that you did.

In addition to sweet and savory crêpes to cure your French food cravings, the Bistro offers homemade bread, muffins, scones, brioche, cookies and bourbon-pecan brownies that are to die for. The desserts options include lemon chiffon cake, three chocolate mousse cake, Key Lime pie, tiramisu, caramel nut tart and raspberry champagne cake, to name a few.
Sound tempting?
The lemon chiffon cake is divine.

Bittersweet Bakery and Bistro
1220 S. Grand Blvd.
Spokane, WA
(509) 455-8658 Pin It


Samantha said...

Oh, how funny, I'm going to Spokane next month! I will definitely have to stop by there and check it out!

Loulou said...

How bizarre! Are you from that part of the world or just going there for other reasons? Say hi to Gina for me!

Riana said...

wow, you have a crepe named after you, how cool is that?!!!

Samantha said...

Nope, I'm from Minnesota, but we'll be taking a roadtrip out there to visit a cousin and his family.

Wendy Barley said...

I'm pleased about this news, but I'm not surprised at all. Gina is a very talented woman! I was actually Googling and found your site, very informative.

Loulou said...

Yes, she is amazing! I spent a lot of time with her at Bittersweet last March and it is a wonderful, comfortable place.
Hope you get there!

Anonymous said...

Sad but true, Bittersweet is CLOSED. it is cleared out with a real estate sign in the window.

Loulou said...

Yes, I talked to Gina last weekend and she broke the sad news to me. It is a great loss for Spokane and she is heartbroken.

Katherine said...

Is bittersweet gone forever? Will she still be providing her amazing desserts to other bakeries and restaurants? I am heartbroken. She did a three-mousse parfait for a different restaurant (like the cake, but just the mousse), and it is my favorite dessert EVER.

Loulou said...

The three mousse cake was divine, wasn't it?
Yes, it is closed for good. Not sure what her plans are for the moment. I think she needs some time to mourn the loss.

Ann said...

Does anyone know why it closed? I was a regular and it always seemed to do good business--I am SO sad about the loss of this wonderful bakery. I wondered whether it was a rent issue or what. If you have any info, please let me know. Thanks!

Loulou said...

Unfortunately business started dropping off last year when the economy started going downhill. People weren't buying her high quality cakes and baked goods like they were before, instead they were getting them at Costco and places that were cheaper. (and not as good quality!)

She struggled for a long time and finally had to close the doors. It is very sad and I know she felt terrible to have to do it.
I'll tell her that I've received a few comments from regulars who are sad that Bittersweet is gone.

Monica & Seth said...

Do you know if she is opening up a bakery again? I know before she had the bistro she had a little bakery.

Loulou said...

Monica and Seth
Yes, she's in the process of opening a new bakery at Chaps coffee house. Not sure when it will be open though!

Monica & Seth said...

Yea!! We will be anxiously awaiting... we already love Chaps, that will just make it even better!

Loulou said...

Monica and Seth
You'll have to say hello for me when she finally opens!