I think spring got it all wrong this year.
March was beautiful, soft, sunny and warm. Which we totally deserved after the big freeze of February.
So I figured the worst of it was over.
Well, April has had other ideas.
The wind has been blowing, the skies have been grey and and the rain has been splashing the windowpanes. Day after day after day.
What to do?
Invest in a sturdy umbrella and rain boots, try to stay warm and dry, grab a big pot and start making soups, stews, gumbo and curries.
Like this one.
Chickpeas with Tomatoes and Spinach
from the BBC Good Food website
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ finger length piece fresh root ginger, shredded
- 2 mild red chillies, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tomatoes , chopped
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained*
- 200g baby spinach leaves*
- rice or naan bread , to serve
- Stir in the garlic, ginger and chillies and cook for a further 5 mins until the onions are golden and the garlic slightly toasted.
- Add the turmeric, garam masala and cumin, stirring over a low heat for a few secs. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and add the tomato purée, then simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan with 300ml water (fill the can three-quarters full). Simmer for 10 mins before stirring in the spinach to wilt. Season and serve with rice or naan.
Here's hoping that May will bring us some sunny skies and the promise of summer.