July 20, 2008

Photo du Jour - Potager


This is what a proper French potager looks like. Nicely arranged with little paths to walk on so you don't hurt the vegetables and flowers.

And no, it's not mine.
As you probably know by now, I'm not a good gardener.
Herbs are no problem, they can adapt to my sometimes forgetful ways. But vegetables and I have a tenuous relationship.

This year I've attempted cherry tomatoes, spring onions, chile peppers and zucchini. So far everything is coming along nicely (amazingly!) except for the zucchini. The young plants were eaten by snails within the first week. A good thing as it turns out, as we're receiving an abundance of zucchini in our CSA basket every week.

It looks like we'll enjoy a lot of salsa as the summer rolls on. Not such a bad thing... Pin It

3 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I often wondered what a "potager" was...should of looked it up really..well all I can say is that the potager looks wonderful..:-)

Kirstin said...

Are you going to have your revenge on those zucchini-eating snails by feeding them fennel and herbs and then....!

Jennifer said...

anne
Our friends have done a great job creating their little potager. And they've reaping the benefits now!

kirstin
I already tried that! :) If only I were more vengeful.