December 20, 2007

Celebrating Sangria?

Today is National Sangria Day.

Why in December? Why not in July or August, when we crave cold, refreshing drinks like this?

So I have to wonder, when is National Hot Toddy Day* or National Milk Punch Day? In June?

26669132.jpg

Here is the sangria recipe I make. In the summer, mind you.

2 large juice oranges, washed, one sliced into ¼ inch rounds and one for juice
1 large lemon, washed and sliced into ¼ inch rounds
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup Triple Sec or Cointreau
1 bottle inexpensive, fruity, medium bodied red wine

Put sliced orange, lemon and the sugar into a large pitcher.
Smash gently to release the fruit's juices and to completely dissolve the sugar, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the orange juice, Triple Sec or Cointreau and the wine.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Just before serving, add 6-10 ice cubes and stir briefly.
Serves 4


* OK I looked...National Hot Toddy Day is January 11. There is no National Milk Punch Day. Pin It

2 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

The two foodie things I love from Spain are their cafe con leche ( the best coffee I have ever had in my life was in Spain) and the refreshing and delicious Sangria.

Love Sangria!!! It should be a winter drink. All of that citrus has to be good for fighting colds and flues---that booze has to kill germs and bacteria. I think we need to start a holiday Sangria tradition. I am printing your recipe :-)

Jennifer said...

You are absolutely right!
Out with the punch and egg nog...in with sangria!
I never did like egg nog anyway.