March 8, 2007

Things I'm Taking Back to France

Before each trip to the States we have a look around the house and (mainly) the kitchen to make The List.

Last trip it included;
tofu for making Szechuan mapo tofu
Reese's Pieces for our young, English neighbors
tea for Riana
Crystal Hot Sauce-I have a love affair with this stuff
hominy for making posole, a Mexican soup that includes pork, avocado, lime and cilantro
clothes and shoes I'd ordered with a gift card
and not on the list-a virus I caught on the airplane

This trip I have a lot more space in my luggage;
Airborne to keep me from getting sick again when I fly home!
Emergen C-same as above
bagels for my husband-his great love
chili powder for it's obvious use
dried chili peppers to use in recipes from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
Reese's Pieces (the girls ate the last bag in three days!)
Karo Syrup because I sometimes need it
assorted birthday cards as they are difficult to come by in our little corner of France and usually really expensive
peanut brittle from the Davenport Hotel here in Spokane, Washington-addictive and divine
rewritable DVD's as they cost a fortune in France
M A C lipstick in Odyssey
cans of chipotles in adobo sauce for use in dozens of recipes
Snoqualmie Falls Lodge oatmeal-never mushy

As soon as I have a chance to get to the grocery store I know I'll find many more items and end up with a suitcase that I can barely zip shut. It happens every time.


Update
My mom is doing much better and should be going home from the hospital today. She'll be so happy to be home and her cat will be very happy to have her there! Pin It

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear your mother is doing better.

Kate said...

Glad your mom's better. I can relate, just living on Whidbey I keep a running list of things I always buy when in Seattle: Chopped proscuitto, Veggie Booty, panko, and Trader Joe's tortellini, which is what my kids eat instead of blue box mac'n'cheese. My new favorite thing on earth: Chipotle tobasco sauce. I put it on everything...

Jennifer said...

cara,
my mom and I are spending lots of good time together and watching a lot of great movies!

mimi,
thank you, she's recovering quickly

kate,
I miss Trader Joe's! What the hell is Veggie Bootie???
I need to find that Tabasco sauce.

Kate said...

Veggie Booty is stuff they sell at Trader Joe's. It's like healthy Cheetos made from spinach and kale. Sounds awful, but the kids love it!

Katie said...

Glad to hear your mom is doing well!

Emily said...

I'm going back to the US in June and Crystal Hot Sauce is on my list too. That stuff rocks. Now that I'm thinking about it, I should add to the list, a green bottle of Tabasco and a bottle of the low-sodium soy sauce.

MAC Odyssey is my fav too. Have you tried Plum Dandy? I'm running out and in need of a replacement. I think there's a MAC store in Paris? Might have to stop by there on my trip in June.

Trader Joe's...sigh...

Jennifer said...

katie
thank you! She's doing much better.

emily,
don't you love Trader Joe's!?!
I've never tried Plum Dandy but will look for it when I'm in Paris in April. Thanks for the idea. I've seen green Tabasco here in France. Have a look, you might find it.